This is a low-rez version of a commission I completed on Saturday. The (quick) first version wasn’t good enough for me. I knew I could do better if I just spent a little time google-ing horses. This version is proof of that.
I am very happy with how this picture turned out. I probably shouldn’t have spent as much time drawing tonight as I did, but once I had the initial sketch I couldn’t resist finishing it. There are more layers than I normally use.
I drew this on commission. The client was given 3 separate images, 10×10 inches each, at 720 pixels per inch. The two children are his, he sent me pictures for me to use as reference. We also went back and forth a few times so that he could give feedback on how the faces looked. It really helped the final image to resemble his children. He asked for 3 pictures of his children meeting, feeding, and riding a dinosaur. I quite enjoy drawing dinosaurs… you may have guessed that from other pictures I have drawn. I scaled down the pictures to 500×500 pixels and then put them together in one image with the watermark for display here on my blog.
Images made for printing are usually done at 300 ppi, but if you have a printer capable of printing higher, then you can go higher. On the swing side of that, your computer has to be able to handle working at that resolution. My laptop had some difficulty with a 10×10 image at 720… that’s 51840000 pixels for a flat image, multiply that for each layer you are working with. Normally I would have used more layers to keep the colour/shading/highlighting for the kids and dino separate. But I kept them together because I didn’t want to push my luck and crash Painter12. As it was it took a good 60 seconds (or more) every time I wanted to save the image. That might not sound like a lot of time, but it really adds up.
Here is the finished drawing. Underneath the ink layer I used two colour layers. (yes, I am Canadian and spell it ‘colour’ instead of ‘color’) One for the main body of the dinosaur so I could have a nice transition from the pink underbelly to the purple back. The other colour layer was for all the other colours that I didn’t have to do any smudging on. There is a multiply layer for the shadows, and a screen layer for the highlights. I chose yellow in the shirt/horns to contrast with the purple of the dinosaur. As for the girl’s hair and skin: They are both orange. I generally use a light, low-saturated tint of orange for pale skin-tones, and for my organic browns I use a dark, low-saturated shade of orange. So the skin and hair contrast well with the blue shorts.
As usual start to finish in Painter12. I started with a sketch. I used a thick liquid ink pen for main shapes, and then used a thinner pen for the details. Underneath the liquid ink layer I painted 2 colour layers: one for the green/blue so I could smudge between the two, and another one for the skirt, trunk, coconuts and lai. I used a multiply layer filled with white and pained grey where I wanted the shadows. A screen layer filled with black for the highlights… those I painted in grey as well and smudged the edges.
I’ve been thinking about this pun since last night. But it was only until after I started colouring that I realized I had the opportunity to add the carrot pun. I didn’t plan on using a carrot in the drawing, but I’m glad I did. I am also very happy with how the turnip’s left hand looks in ink.
Steps: initial sketch with real2B, liquid ink on several layers (so I could move stuff around for better placement), flat colours, multiply layer for shadows, and screen layer for highlights.